Friday, June 12, 2009

5 Weeks Later – Summer Camp was a Success!

Bookmark and Share

beach_yoga_aw As a quick refresher, after I left NSR I spent a month in Mumbai doing my own version of a summer camp and then spent 5 weeks running around the US visiting everyone I know and attending some important life-events (weddings, reunions, etc) . . . . . you can catch up here and here

 

During my five week – and I hesitate to say this – vacation, I made pretty good use of 3 out of the 5 “lessons” from my Summer Camp.  To clarify, “using” a lesson means not only practicing or playing, but also talking about – is in cocktail party faire.  Leaving India directly after Summer Camp made it tough to actually execute on all the lessons.

 

Yoga was by far the skill that I used the most – both by practicing and in discussion.  I used Yoga routines in the place of a regular aerobic / weight lifting gym routine.  Since you can do Yoga almost anywhere, it is much easier to workout “on the road.”  It also makes a great topic of conversation! 

 

I unfortunately did not have a chance to go sailing or play a game of bridge during my travels but knowledge of both were great conversation topics and helped make a connection with some great people.

As for cooking and Hindi, both were utterly unused during my foray.  I had no opportunity (nor did I want to) cook a meal and obviously it would be tough to speak Hindi with people who do not understand it.

 

So it seems that I have some traction with at least 4 of the skills I tried to learn (Hindi is a given) even during a 5 week hiatus.  I would say that Summer Camp was a resounding success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment