Monday, July 6, 2009

Vodafone, Google, Facebook - I HATE YOU

Bookmark and Share

strangle_thumb[4] While I was in the U.S. I had my Vodafone India Blackberry turned on.  I did not make or receive any significant amount of phone calls but kept the phone on so I could receive email.  I have been using Vodafone for three years and I understand that the bulk of the roaming charges that I incur when I travel are usually from voice calls, not data usage. . . . I mean how much data does it take to send and receive an email.  Well, in reality, not much!

 

So why am I angry?  Because the Google Maps and Facebook applications on my BB ended up using INSANE amounts of data while I was roaming without me even knowing it!  Google Maps has a "current location" option that constantly updates your locations and in the process uses a lot of data.  Facebook updates photos of your friends into your contact book which, again, uses a lot of data.  I had no idea these features were even turned on! 

 

That brings me to Vodafone.  I have been a very high spending post-paid customer for three years - i.e. a high margin customer!  When I saw my bill I called Vodafone explaining the situation to see if there was something we could do . . . i.e. reducing the bill.  I assumed that being such a high paying customer would give me some leeway. I was completely wrong, there was nothing they were willing to do, even after I spoke to a few layers of "managers." I finally told them that I would just not pay the bill and instead get a new number with a different provider. They still didn't budge!

 

One of my friends told me that i should have just reported the phone as stolen and they would send a new sim and redact the charges.  Damn! I should have tried that first. I tried this method only after I had given them the prior explanation so it obviously didn't work.

 

So I'm torn . . . should I pay the bill or should I just leave it and go . . . . FYI the bill was >40,000!

5 comments:

  1. disgusting and unprofessional behavior on vodafone's part

    ReplyDelete
  2. They should have given you some leeway. This is just ridiculous. You should switch from Vodafone to Google Voice. It is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 40K INR! wow :) , look its significant money any ways, unless of course you already have a million US ..i wont pay this bill when it is not my fault!! still laughing..did not know people get such high amount bills...tc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let it go man. You're a consumer, you can play hard to get.

    Besides, it might be worth a shot to find out if you can cancel your number and get it back again. Not through the vodafone store though. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think >40K is like it is more than airfare to the US. If Vodafone is not flexible on their part and don't be too.

    http://divineeuphoria.com/about-divine-euphoria/

    ReplyDelete